[App_rpt-users] Allstar running on Ubuntu Saucy

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Mar 28 16:08:03 UTC 2014

As an experiment I have compiled Allstar on Ubuntu Saucy 13.10 (the latest version) and it is working well. It required a recompile of the kernel as Ubuntu took out OSS support in their releases several years ago. I did try to use some of the OSS emulators like osspd or aoss but was not successful. Perhaps if someone wanted to play with that they might be able to get it to work. osspd does create /dev/dsp but app_rpt balks at not finding things.

Anyhow from this experiment it appears that just about any popular flavor of Linux could be made to work with the existing acid release and dahdi as long as you were willing to recompile the kernel. The code is there just not configured in. The key is the snd-pcm-oss module.

Ubuntu has a paticularly easy kernel recompile procedure. It takes all of about three command to do it but a considerable amount of time to compile. I think my choice for a standard though might be Debian which at least to this point configures in the OSS support in its releases. Probably the latest centos went the same way as ubuntu and configured it out. It might be worth a try to see if recompiling the kernel with oss support selected would solve the problem of it not working. You also have to make sure the snd_pcm_oss module is loading at boot. In Ubuntu it did, for my Debian compile I had to add it to /etc/modules. The key is to check for the existence of /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. If they are there it probably will work if not it isn't going to work.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel

Beagle Blacks are back in stock and I have one on order. I should know in a week or two whether it is going to work.
 73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio