[App_rpt-users] Changing Courtesy Tones, and SSHing into the computer

Tim Sawyer tim.sawyer at mac.com
Sat May 3 14:33:11 UTC 2014

You don’t need an audio file to announce the time as app_has a command for it. You can run it at the Asterisk CLI:
*CLI> rpt cmd <yournode> status 12 0

Scripting is one of the main reasons to have a Linux based repeater controller. I’m not sure what level your Linux knowledge is so pardon me if I start at too basic of a level. Scripting is a big subject but lets see if we can get you started. First google cron. Cron runs Linux programs or scripts based on a set of time rules. This cron entry calls a script once every 3 hours between 6am and 9pm.
00 6-21/3 * * * /root/bin/time.sh

The command crontab -e is how you add a cron entry. By default crontab uses the vi editor. Vi has a steep learning curve but you might as well learn it if you want to become a for real Linux guy. <esc>:wq and <esc>:q! are two vi commands you’ll want to learn right away. Google vi.

Then you will need to create a script with one of the Linux editors. Newbies generally use the nano editor but it you have got this far you already have a bit of vi under your belt so keep up the good work. The script looks like this:
#! /bin/bash
/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd <yournode> status 12 0"

After you create the script you need to mark it as executable. Again google is your friend, google chmod:
chmod +x /root/bin/time.sh

Having said all that, you don’t have to use scripting to do a time announcement. You can do it with the app_rpt scheduler. But I’ve not used it so I’ll leave it up to others to jump in here and explain the scheduler.  There are comments in rpt.conf that may be sufficient.

BTW, when changing subjects best practice is to start a new thread. Tailgating leads to forever threads with no relation to the subject line.
--
Tim
:wq