[App_rpt-users] App_rpt-users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 5

Steve Wright stevewrightnz at gmail.com
Sat May 3 19:36:47 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 2:33 AM, Tim waffled:

> Vi has a steep learning curve but you might as well learn it if you want
to become a for real Linux guy. <esc>:wq and <esc>:q! are two vi commands
you?ll want to learn right away. Google vi.

>:-/

Nar sorry but vi sucks.  I've grappled with it for years and I still hate
its' propensity to get tangled in some mode where I have to consult the man
just to exit and save.  Just use nano or joe.  There are plenty more
interesting things to do in unix than learn some stupid overtly complicated
editor, and plenty better places other than here to go on about it..
ctrl-d, ctrl-enter

~$ cat | grep ">" | wc -l
96

grumble, reminder to trim.  shift/ctrl/end delete.