[App_rpt-users] Portanode

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Nov 6 03:51:26 UTC 2014

You should probably ask that question over on the arm-allstar list but the short answer is we don't have a lot of data on it. The USB wifi on the BBB works fine if you follow the directions and use the prescribed hardware. There are Ethernet wifi adapters but they are more expensive. The BBB would see that as just another Ethernet connection and I am sure work fine. The problem is the connection to the Internet, whether it is a USB adapter or some other means, often does not work well in a mobile environment. Some questions would be, how good is the connection? Does the IP address change when moving between cells or when moving over greater distances. You could possibly use a VPN to eliminate that problem.

I suppose you could test the circuit by using your smart phone to connect to your node using iaxrpt or even echolink while you are traveling around and see how well it works. My guess is that since we are use to good connections and not very tolerant of anything less the breakups and disconnections you would encounter would probably be more aggravation than its worth.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio