[App_rpt-users] Portanode

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Nov 6 17:35:55 UTC 2014

Robert,

  In a fixed location this might work quite well. The problem is moving, poor signal quality and IP address changes could be an issue. But keep in mind that even if you establish a stable wifi connection at a fixed location you still have to be able to connect to it. You need to know the ssid and you would have to setup a profile in the BBB to tell it to connect to that ssid. In addition many "free" sites require you to go in on a web page and agree to terms of service. If this were the case you would need to have a way to console control the BBB to accomplish that.

If you had control over the wifi such as a hotspot created by a phone or other device then the BBB would connect either to your known wifi or an ethernet connection created by an external device and it would eliminate those problems. You would know the ssid and you could setup a profile ahead of time. All this is ripe for experimentation and it will be interesting to hear about the results people have with it.

I still think this discussion especially if it applies to the BBB wifi should be over on the arm-allstar list.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio