[App_rpt-users] Bandwidth usage

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Tue Nov 11 16:19:22 UTC 2014

Robert,

 Yes it is an accurate spec, but remember that EACH connection would take the additional BW. If you expect a lot of connections you could keep it down by using an external server at a location where BW is abundant and only connecting the repeater server to that external server. The repeater server could be unlisted so no one would know about it and you could advertise the external server like it was the repeater. A single G726 connection would go unnoticed on anything but the slowest Internet connections today. Maybe if he is running the slowest DSL and there is a lot of other traffic it might be an impact but probably not otherwise.
Between BBB's, and to PC's if installed on any Acid release, you can run the ilbc codec which is darn near indistinguishable from G726 with about 1/3 the BW.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio