[App_rpt-users] kernel panic in the cold

Scott Zimmerman n3xcc at repeater-builder.com
Wed Nov 19 15:36:28 UTC 2014

 > Traditional spinning platter hard drive (SATA interface)
Well there's your problem! My bet is that the system had trouble reading/writing to the HDD. We had
this happen YEARS ago with a packet node.

My guess is that the platter motor on the drive can't keep it spinning fast enough when it gets cold
due to the lubricant getting thick. If your PC's power save mode or HDD controller is configured to
spin down the platters upon lack of use, that would further compound the problem.

All of our current PC based AllStar deployments use solid state hard drives and fanless
motherboards. Never had a problem with either yet.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
474 Barnett Road