[App_rpt-users] Frozen repeater -- Deep Freeze test

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Fri Nov 21 17:00:47 UTC 2014

Hi Mike (& Everyone),

I ran an "experimental" freezer test over the last 10 hours or so. My test
setup is a "bare" BBB (no case or anything) with URI plugged in, sitting
in a ceramic dinner plate on the 2nd shelf from the top of the
deep-freezer. I'm powering the contraption using an Adafruit 5V2A
wall-wart located outside the freezer, with the small power cord running
thru the freeze door seal.

An uncalibrated analog thermometer inside said about -20 degrees
Fahrenheit just now. The typical range on this thermometer is about -15 or
lower.

I brought an industrial "point and shoot" IR thermometer back from my
office and checked the BBB at various spots. The CPU/SoC was the warmest
at about -2 degrees. Other spots ranged as low as -9. When I pointed the
IR thermometer at my old analog one, the IR said -17 (analog says -20).
The plate, BBB and thermometer are in the air stream from the freezer
circulating fan--that should be a worst case scenario!

I'm already getting some dirty looks about "commandeering" the freezer!
I'll going to conclude this phase of testing before lunch! HiHi!

73, David KB4FXC