[App_rpt-users] Beagle bone black and timedatectl

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Mon Oct 27 22:00:31 UTC 2014

Mike,

 There is an issue in asterisk that causes all sorts of problems if the time is changed when it is running. This has been mostly but not entirely corrected in version 1.2.1 so I suspect you will still have the problem.

The quick reason is that in many instances throughout the code the real time clock rather then a continuously running and incrementing clock is used for timing in critical code. Not a good idea!!

The answer is to NOT change the time while asterisk is running. Instead stop asterisk. Set the time and restart asterisk. I suspect that changing the time and then just restarting asterisk would work equally well.

This is a known problem that also would exist in an acid release but rarely shows up because users do not make time changes like that once it boots.

Version 1.2.1 was released now without all the timing problems corrected so that users could benefit from many of the other fixes and features. There will be another release once this problem is completely corrected and tested. I must emphasize though that the vast majority of users with Internet connections will not have this problem.

Also since the primary reason to have Allstar is communications over the Internet your case is probably very isolated.

Please ask questions relating to the BBB on the arm-allstar list if possible.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio