[App_rpt-users] Problem with two repeaters..

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 13:24:12 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 12:45 PM, Loren Tedford wrote:
> Hello having issues running both repeaters for some reason it is
> telling me that Device usb27103 currently not active what does this
> mean? its all plugged in was working then all the suddenly stopped
> working randomly is it not detecting the device number correctly with
> the URI? I am running 2 Cm200 on vhf for this repeater and node 29925
> is running flawlessly with out any issues with 2 Cm200 on UHF

Sometimes, things happen.  Some software bug causes the usb daemon to
fall, or something...

On that note, I did a quick google search for start/stop/status on usb
devices for CentOS and came up with

http://www.zedt.eu/tech/linux/restarting-usb-subsystem-centos/

Their suggestion of looking in |/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd or
xhci_hcd doesn't exist in my directory path.  So, I did a 'lsusb' and
came up with:
[root at W5OMR /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usbfs]# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0d8c:013a C-Media Electronics, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0d8c:013a C-Media Electronics, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120 for Business
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

>From the link, they suggest;|

echo -n "0000:00:xx.y" > unbind|

Remember to enable them back:

|echo -n "0000:00:xx.y" > bind|

where instead of xx.y you fill in the correct set of numbers to use the
IDs discovered above.

This procedure is the same for all RHEL-like distributions (Red Hat
Enterprise, CentOS, Fedora).

The bottom line is, there's hardly ever a reason to reboot an entire
working Linux operating system loaded machine.
Services can stopped and restarted from the command line without the
need to reboot the entire system.

I have had, on occasion, the need to restart the networking sub-system.
By performing a

root at w5omr> /etc/init.d/networking restart

takes care of that problem.

Just my 0.02c

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR