[App_rpt-users] Virtual node

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:41:16 UTC 2014

On 09/14/2014 04:51 PM, Wayne wrote:
> OK. Since our ACID server is going into a high bandwidth data center I am
> going to need to visualize the topology. It has always been our hope to
> publicize one node number since if a major emergency occurs (earthquake)
> Internet will likely be down anyway.

But, more than likely, your server at the DC will still be up and
running, and acting as a Hub (or will there be RF there, as well?)

I'm all for the idea that, if possible, connect a Hub at a 'Star'
repeater site (one that has awesome height and coverage) with the
awesome repeater, and a link repeater on 220MHz or higher (per Eff Cee
Cee rules and regumalations).  You could use something in the upper UHF
range as the local-access repeater and something in the 420MHz range for
the link-repeater.  Or, 900MHz/1.2GHz, a Gunnplexer at 10GHz, etc...) ,
if you've got the RF path for it.  Any combination of frequencies would
work, so long as it falls under the FCC and/or local coordinator action
(boy, them guys in Utah are rather anal about their frequency
coordination, aren't they? Whoever heard of asking a statewide
coordinator if you could put up a Simplex node?  But, I digress...)

Use allstar at the satellite sites as a repeater controller, only.  Two
nodes.  Site consists of a radio/repeater and a link radio, and each has
a node, or private node number.  To bring that particular machine on or
off the link, just disconnect the link radio from the accessible
radio/repeater, then it becomes stand-alone.

See, you're not using Allstar to connect the MAIN repeater to the
satellite repeater... That connection is made via RF from the satellite
sites to the HUB -link- repeater.  Allstar at the satellite sites, with
a machine controlling the two nodes, and doing the audio/dsp/etc thing.
You could either enable or disable it locally with DTMF codes, if there
was no internet at the site.

What's the upside to all this (what would eventually be) massive
equipment build-up?

Reliable RF connectivity.

IN MY OPINION, Each site could/should be built with an 'off-the-grid'
scenario in mind.  Battery backup, solar-powered, generator, whatever it
takes to keep the site up and running, should the infrastructure fail.
And, with small voltage/current devices available (such as a Beagle
Bone, just as an example) not much is required at the site, save for the
power required to maintain the power output of the radios.  Technology
has advance to the point where just about anything can be used to keep a
small bank of batteries charged up enough to run the radios for a few
days.  A 5v regulator and some simple circuitry could supply the
low-voltage stuff.  Each site should be capable of being independent
from commercial mains, when they're not available.

Let's keep in mind that The NUMBER ONE function of Amateur Radio is that
it's available for Emergency Communication.

During the 'good times' (non-emergency), linking several sites together
brings folks and communities together, be it rag-chewing, or maybe a
rainfall net, or what have you, but when disaster strikes, a well
planned and maintained link system could be used to provide disaster
relief to affected areas.  I think that Allstar is the best vehicle to
use to facilitate those communication needs.  When things are setup
properly, the 'First Responders' need to be able to just 'key the mic
and talk'.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR