[App_rpt-users] Security Issues

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Sep 25 02:43:16 UTC 2014

I assume you have the linux box behind a router? If so why would you have sip even routed to your linux box if you are not using it? Routers make good firewalls. The only thing you should have routed is 4569 (udp) and 222 (tcp)   neither have to be routed.  4569 would only need to be routed if you wanted to accept incoming connections. Outgoing would work fine without it. 222 would only be needed for administration.

>From what you are saying you obviously must not have a front-end (router firewall etc.) on your system . It sounds like you are just hanging on the raw Internet!! Some people go the easy route and put thhings in the DMZ of their routers which does open them up to the world. I went into an Allstar system this week to help with setup and I immediately knew it was on the DMZ. In the Asterisk client I was getting sip messages left and right. I unloaded the sip module and they went away. Not the right way to do it though as it should not be on dmz to begin with. Simply not having a sip.conf file does not prevent sip traffic!!!

Assuming you have a router there should be no need to disable sip as it is never going to get to your box unless you port forward it there. It would be a good idea thought to not load the code for it if you are not using it. A noload=chan_sip.so   in modules.conf would take care of that.

Most good routers also allow you to specify specific or blocks of IP addresses to disallow. If there is a specific foreign block, say in China you can identify you could probably block it.

So the bottom line is you could make your linux system tottally unavailable to the outside world by just not forwarding any ports. The downside is no one could connect to you (sometimes desirable) and you could not remotely administer your system.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio