[App_rpt-users] Help with weather scripts (cepstral licensing)

Don Russell drussell at gpgsecure.com
Mon Apr 6 06:27:46 UTC 2015

It appears the personal version is no longer available for Linux. There
is also a licensing issue for us, since the audio is being played back
over the radio, it violates their "no third party" clause. The personal
version is for local pc playout to a soundcard. To do TTS with file save
for later/repeated playback and 3rd party use legally, it is going to
run $340 for 1 license.

I wish there was a better solution. Supposedly some of the festival
voices have gotten better.

Unless there has been a special dispensation from cepststral for amateur
radio use, it's going to be hard to justify the expense.

I didn't know about the licensing thing until I recently tried to get
the latest version of Cepstral Linux and noticed it didn't function the
same way as the version the scripts want. I read on cepstrals site about
how the older Linux personal version was being used improperly (people
would use the personal version in commercial phone systems to save a few
bucks) and that's why it's no longer available.

73
Don W9DRR