[App_rpt-users] Building Asterisk/chan_usbradio/App_rpt for Ubuntu 14.04

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Apr 17 03:49:02 UTC 2015

I  built Allstar for Ubuntu as an experiment almost a year ago just to prove it could work. In my limited testing it worked but it is NOT a good solution. I guess I would ask why do you want to do it?

The problem is that Ubuntu dropped oss support several years ago. So you have to get the headers and kernel source and compile it back in. Then you have a custom kernel. The next time there is an update, which is fairly often, you will have to recompile the kernel. Not to mention you would need to recompile Dahdi also. You would need to use Dahdi. In short it would not be a good solution and certainly not for a distribution.

You want to run Asterisk Allstar on a dedicated system where you can control updates and the OS directly supports OSS.

Debian, Centos, ArchLinux, etc. to name a few.  Also the code runs great on the beaglebone black and raspberry Pi 2 and that is a very cheap, low power alternative.

Down the line the OSS requirement may be eliminated but for right now it is required.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio