[App_rpt-users] Guidance Hub Install

Loren Tedford lorentedford at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:45:48 UTC 2015

I am in the middle of trying to figure out how the installation of allstar
can be put on anyone of the following distros that are available to me in
my VPS
Debian 7 *Preferred install if possible*
Centos 7
Ubuntu 14.04LTS
Ubuntu 14.10

I have tried many different methods including replacing zaptel with Dahdi
not sure i did things right or not but still no luck with the installation
here is what I found out so far my Linode has custom Kernal headers this is
very bad for any type of installation like this so here is the tutorial i
found to change the linux headers.
https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-reference/custom-kernels-distros/run-a-distributionsupplied-kernel-with-pvgrub#debian-7-wheezy

My current installation is Debian 7 But i have tried all of the above
listed distributions with no success..

So here so far is my command line step by step on this machine roughly

First step was to change Linux Headers to generic headers

   1.

   apt-get update

   2.

   apt-get upgrade --show-upgraded

   3.

   apt-get install linux-image-amd64

   4.

   mkdir /boot/grub

   5.

   apt-get install grub-legacy

   6.

   grub-set-default 1    (Generates /boot/grub/menu.lst )

   7.

   update-grub

   8. nano /boot/grub/menu.lst   Edited some timer to 10 and updated
   kopt=

    kopt=root=/dev/xvda console=hvc0 ro quiet   Double check groot=(hd0)

   9.

   update-grub

   10. In the Linode Manager, edit your Linode’s configuration profile to
   use either *pv-grub-x86_32* or *pv-grub-x86_64* as the kernel, depending
   on the version of Debian you have deployed (32-bit or 64-bit).   (My host
   only offers x86_64
   11. reboot from dashboard after adjusting some minor settings in the
   profile.
   12. In Console     uname -a
   13. Response from     uname -a  Linux (none) 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
   3.2.65-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ok now we first installed asterisk just regular using
apt-get install asterisk-dahdi
Not exactly sure what it did things at this point have now become sketchy
because i am unsure where the config files for allstar should be also i am
use to the centos based acid and so I think i am getting confused some
where in the installation but here is my history so far on this machine..
1  apt-get update
    2  apt-cache search dahdi
    3  apt-get install asterisk-dahdi
    4  cd /tmp
    5  wget http://dl.allstarlink.org/installcd/zsync-0.6.1.tar.bz2
    6  tar -jxvf zsync-0.6.1.tar.bz2
    7  cd zsync-0.6.1
    8  ./configure
    9  make
   10  make install
   11  cd /etc/init.d
   12  wget http://dl.allstarlink.org/installcd/rc.updatenodelist
   13  mv rc.updatenodelist updatenodelist
   14  chmod 755 updatenodelist
   15  ./updatenodelist &
   16  nano /etc/init.d/asterisk
   17  ./updatenodelist &
   18  ./asterisk start
   19  nano /etc/init.d/asterisk
   20  ./asterisk start
   21  ./asterisk restart
   22  ./updatenodelist &
   23  ./asterisk restart
   24  ./updatenodelist &
   25  ls
   26  cd /etc/asterisk
   27  nano rpt.conf
   28  nodesetup.sh
   29  ls
   30  nano /var/lib/asterisk/keys/allstar.pub
   31  clear
   32  apt-get install
   33  apt-get install curl
   34  cd /usr/src
   35  wget http://x.allstarlink.org/svn-trunk.tar.gz -O- | tar xzv
   36  mv trunk astsrc
   37  cd astsrc
   38  make upgrade-acid
   39  menuselect.makeopts
   40  service asterisk restart
   41  cd ..
   42  apt-get install git-core
   43  git clone https://github.com/KD8EYF/squeezeterisk.git
   44  ./squeezeterisk/scripts/allstar-install.sh
   45  apt-get update
   46  apt-get upgrade --show-upgraded
   47  apt-get install linux-image-amd64
   48  mkdir /boot/grub
   49  apt-get install grub-legacy
   50  grub-set-default 1
   51  update-grub
   52  nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
   53  nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
   54  update-grub
   55  history

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another thought on installation was to take the current Acid Distro and
install it on linode.. So here is my steps so far to this one however I
will tell you that for some reason we are stuck on a grub boot loader and
not getting anywhere at the moment with the installation of acid.
https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-reference/custom-kernels-distros/running-a-custom-linux-distro-on-a-linode-vps

Ok I followed the directions and wound up with the below attached below the
line the kernal in my Virtualized vm shows this..

The attachment is a screen shot of the vm information what is the thoughts
of being able to make this work really would like this one to be successful
if possible..

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (1048576K lower / 0K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grubdom>
Possible commands are: background blocklist boot bootp border cat
chainloader
clear cmp color configfile debug dhcp find foreground fstest geometry halt
help
hide ifconfig initrd kernel lock makeactive map module modulenounzip pager
par
tnew parttype password pause print rarp read reboot root rootnoverify
savedefau
lt shade splashimage terminal terminfo tftpserver unhide viewport

grubdom> boot

Error 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting

grubdom>

Hello,

It looks like your Linode is loading GRUB, the bootloader, but doesn't know
about any distributions it can boot. Could you provide the contents of the
following file in the image you uploaded to your Linode?

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jon F.
Linode Support

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-402.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-402.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-402.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-274.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-274.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-274.el5.img

Hello there,

Lets see if your kernel exists. Please boot into Rescue Mode, then mount
the affected disk [0][1] - after you have done so provide the output of the
following:

ls /media/xvda/boot/

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jonathan

[0]
https://www.linode.com/docs/troubleshooting/rescue-and-rebuild#booting-into-rescue-mode
[1]
https://www.linode.com/docs/troubleshooting/rescue-and-rebuild#mounting-disks

oot at hvc0:~# ls /media/xvda/boot/
ls: cannot access /media/xvda/boot/: No such file or directory
nano /etc/fstab shows this

#
# Lines containing "Added by Finnix" are managed by rebuildfstab.
/dev/xvdh1 /media/xvdh1 iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0 # (Finnix 109$
/dev/xvda /media/xvda ext4 noauto 0 0 # Added by Fi$
/dev/xvdb /media/xvdb ext4 noauto 0 0 # Added by Fi$

On the Virtual machine i imported the information over on has this in the
fstab
nano /etc/fstab
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

I realized a big problem going to redo the swap and try again look at ext4
it should be ext3

Is your /media/xvda/boot/ showing your kernel? Were you able to adjust your
fstab?

root at hvc0:/media/xvda# ls
lost+found sda1
root at hvc0:/media/xvda# ls
lost+found sda1
root at hvc0:/media/xvda# cd sda1
root at hvc0:/media/xvda/sda1# ls
bin dev halt lib media mnt proc sbin srv tmp var
boot etc home lost+found misc opt root selinux sys usr
root at hvc0:/media/xvda/sda1#

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues!

Unfortunately, Linode does not provide support for software installation,
configuration, or troubleshooting. In this case, we always recommend you
reach out to either the developer that you are working with, or our
fantastic user community over either our forums or IRC.

Our community forum can be found at the following url:

https://forum.linode.com/

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. If there is
anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Regards,
Joel

Ok I will be eventually posting this thorough out some forums but is there
a Repository for installing Allstars custom software that would probably
make things easier if there was repos and what in Allstar is hanging up the
installation..

Loren Tedford (KC9ZHV)
Email: lorentedford at gmail.com
Email: lorentedford at live.com