[App_rpt-users] Voting Advice

Wayne wayne at anywherehost.net
Sat Feb 28 10:10:04 UTC 2015

I find myself in uncharted territory. We have initially setup a RTCM and are considering adding a second site that better covers our intended area. This means simulcasting or voting. I understand that repeaters are equipped with RTCM’s, GPS units, and properly tuned for frequency. The repeaters are Motorola  MSF’s. Gotta love them!!! I further understand that Allstar itself does what it can to time packets.

My questions is this. In such a congested area as the L.A. market it is difficult not to cover a large geographic area. Our primary repeater is at 6,300 feet and does just that but it misses some key areas. Thus a second repeater on a hilltop with excellent coverage as well. The overlap is considerable.

In voting what am I looking at? Turning the power down on each unit to minimize the overlapping wha-wha? I’ve tried antenna adjusting (in Radio Mobile Virtual Mapping) and cannot find a change that has any affect. Do we turn the power way down on each repeater? Hand-held’s will suffer. The same with our mountain repeater that needs the umph to get in and out of the canyons. Damn. What a catch-22. This may not be doable without a second pair that isn’t likely to happen.

What advice would you give those of us trying real hard to learn on the job? We’ve got an excellent team of hams but voting is new to us.