[App_rpt-users] Possibility of voice control

mike at midnighteng.com mike at midnighteng.com
Sat Jan 3 16:17:34 UTC 2015

Skyler,

I have done this in asterisk several years ago. Not exactly as you
describe.
I have played with voice recognition off and on since the late 80's
It is a form of "fuzzy logic"

The skinny is...

It takes some cpu power to continuously monitor the audio and look for a
matching pattern.

While most folks don't talk with good breaks in their words or even
pronounce the words the same way all the time that makes voice
recognition not work very well,

Example from the news where folks get paid to speak....
The word "IRAQ" as irack but folks say...
irock
earack
earock

it leads to a bunch of falsifying commands. The more commands and more
varying of types of voice patterns and how they speak, the more
false's/errors you will have.

While it is possible to generate a error map to re-translate the known
errors that will happen with people, it is a very big task not
"normally" worth the time.

I currently use a single dtmf command to open the interface up.
Translate speech to text.
Check text against command list.
Act on it.

IBM has opened a developer interface with "WATSON" but is limited to
just a few categories for now like travel. I have interfaced it with
other AI servers with some cool stuff but not highly useful, just toys.

Still only a toy but I have had hopes to being able to look-up chemical
database & msds sheets info for a direct read-back of most important
info in the field if needed.

I gave up on trying to interface most DB connections on the web, I think
I need to have the info on a dvd or local drive. You need to have a
translate table for all the known abbreviations that might be used in
the DB's.

It all takes time to do. To many irons in the fire

Perhaps you might like to read on the speech to text systems you can
set-up for asterisk for a learning experience. You may get somewhere
with that method you can use. Use the text for command.

...mike/kb8jnm