[App_rpt-users] More than 4 nodes on a PC

Cole Cunningham colecaz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:30:34 UTC 2015

We're looking at app_rpt for sites with up to eight radios, all currently
controlled by a RLC-3.  Our initial approach is to use a PC and try to run
all eight radios off of it.  For testing we're using modified fobs running
on USB 2.0 ports and when we try to use more than four, things break up,
sound bad, etc.  I've found that CentOS 5 that comes on the ACID disk
doesn't support USB 3.0, which we were thinking might offer more bandwidth
and handle the added fobs.

Has anyone used this PC based approach for 4+ nodes using USB fobs?  Or
could I get some suggestions as to how to approach the implementation of
eight nodes without using fobs or the discontinued 4 port PC card?

Or is it a viable solution to use a BBB for every radio and connect them all
with Ethernet switches and treat each BBB like a separate server.

Any ideas are appreciated

Cole

AA7RD