[App_rpt-users] Node becomes unregistered after many weeks (no reply from registration server)

Mike Hugo ka6oij at arrl.net
Wed Jan 21 23:27:41 UTC 2015

I've seen this problem on various nodes now for a while and finally had a
minute to actually grab ethernet packets from the WAN side of the firewall
to see if I could dig deeper to figure out what is breaking after sometime.
This is not a major problem since a reboot fixes it but more of a
curiosity.  I tried to search the forums to see if this had been asked
before but didn't find anything of help.

The issue is that after a node sits unused for a long time it becomes
unregistered. I'm not sure how long a long time is but it is in weeks.  A
reboot of the box always bring is back.

Today I went looking on the WAN side of the firewall and I can see the box
sending IAX2 packets out to the registration server but the registration
server never replying. I used the WAN side so as to rule out local network
issues.  As far as I can tell the IAX registration UDP packet looks fine to
me. The contents of the failed one look the same to a successful one.  It
appears to be sending the REGREQ message and waiting 2 seconds before
resending the same REGREQ message again and waiting 10 seconds and
repeating once more after 10 seconds.  Finally waiting 28 seconds and
starting again with a new REGREG message with a new Source Call.  When it
works the REGREQ is replied to from the registration server with a CALL
TOKEN, etc and the rest of the IAX handshake and authentication happens.

Not sure if helps in figuring this out but when the node is in this state
the call to get nodes.pl is rejected. Call to uhandler are replied with
"OK!".

Since it takes a long time to reproduce this issue I'm wondering if I
should be looking for something else the next time this happens.  The fact
that a reboot always bring it back implies that there is something else on
the local node that is causing this to break and the registration server to
ignore the IAX requests on purpose.

Mike