[App_rpt-users] Node becomes unregistered after many weeks (no reply from registration server)

Mike Hugo ka6oij at arrl.net
Thu Jan 22 01:18:29 UTC 2015

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I thought it could be DNS issue but when I looked at the network trace I
see the node doing a DNS lookup right before it issues the IAX2 command and
getting a proper DNS reply back with the registration node IP address that
it seams to be using.  I also compare the trace before and after I reboot
the box and it both cases the registration server it trying to use are the
same.  It really does look like the registration server is just ignoring
the request unless the UDP packet is getting lost somewhere else.  Am I
missing something in how the DNS could be impacting this?

I guess hitting the reboot switch is just faster than typing the command
but you have a good suggestion in verifying it next time around and getting
a network trace to see what is different with a reload vs. the normal poll
that is failing and if that works.  I am annoyed with myself in that I
didn't have the network trace running this time around when I rebooted the
box to see what was being sent.  I'll have to wait until next time it
happens to validate the reload command and then reboot if reload doesn't
work.

I am curious though why my node is doing the DNS lookup each time even
though I don't have the DNS config file. Regardless I'm not going to argue
as it makes sense to do a DNS lookup each time otherwise it would be hard
for the registration server to ever move.

Mike