[App_rpt-users] New in the Asterisk world - D-Star gateway ?

Toussaint OTTAVI t.ottavi at bc-109.com
Sun Jan 25 20:33:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm new on this list, so here's a quick presentation. My callsign is
TK1BI, I'm living in Corsica, and I've got some experience about
building and maintaining analog repeaters and interconnects all around
our small island in the Mediterranean sea. I'm now doing my first
experiments in the digital world. Working with Open Source software, and
with "open" systems, seems obvious to me ;-)

I built my first Asterisk/app_rpt from source on a HummingBoard (a
Raspberry Pi clone, powered by an ARM7 quad-core Freescale iMX6). The
operating system is Debian.

The next step will be to order some low-cost USB soundcards, and connect
them to a pair of radios, to create a test repeater. In the meantime, we
are reactivating and old project of HamNet WiFi network, to carry TCP/IP
to the mountains where our VHF/UNF repeaters are located.

Anyway, there is some interest here for D-Star. Lots of people are
buying rigs, and having fun with it. Even if D-Star does not match my
idea of an "open" system, I'm thinking about the possibilities to make a
gateway between analog, AllStar and D-Star world. But I didn't find much
information about that. What I understood is that I need to use the
additional software "RptDir" with a hardware AMBE codec. There are some
web sites about that, but it's unclear for me if these are currently
supported projects or not.

Then, here are some questions :
- About RptDir, it seems I also need a piece of software called
"dstar2analog", but I didn't find it anywhere
- About the hardware codec : the "DV Dongle" seems expensive to me, and
I didn't find any reseller in Europe. The DV3000 card for Raspberry Pi
seems more interesting to me, but is it supported for what I want to do ?
- Are there already some attempts to interconnect Asterisk routing with
D-Star routing (ie, more than just sending the audio between each other) ?

Thank you in advance for your answers, and for pointing out some
interesting ressources about that.

Hope to be QRV soon :-)
73 de TK1BI