[App_rpt-users] updating nodelist for a small group of ham repeater

pete M petem001 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 01:43:43 UTC 2015

Hi!
we are a small group of ham and club in the Quebec province that want to do our own lottle network of app_rpt repeater
I have taken a good look at how allstarlink manage registration and I did figured out that there must be a script running on an asterisk server named register.allstartlink.org , that script either connect to the actual asterisk cli and parse / save the output of the iax2 show registry command.. or get the info on a sql server connected to the asterisk server. so that is how the allstalink system create the rpt_extnodes-temp that is fetch by the rc.updatenodelist tat is used by app_rpt to know where are all the nodes.. well that is how I think this done.. If I am wrong please advise me..
So how would one little group of club would go to creat something like that?
I am pretty sure we would need to create a central server on a fix ip adress or domain name. that can be done..
then on that server we would need to create iax2 trunk for all the nodes. those trunk would have all different node number and passwords.. (maybe in iax.conf ??)  then I am lost
Anyone been there? I dont want to create a competing network to allstarlink, I want to create a small automated private nets of repeater.. Not that I dont like allstarlink, it is just that some of the sysop here love the technology behind app_rpt/asterisk. they just dont want to be on the big network, and updatng ip adress when they chage is a real pain.
thanks for your time reading this.
Pierre VE2PF