[App_rpt-users] Modified FOB vs URL

larry larry at n7fm.com
Tue Oct 13 16:51:26 UTC 2015

My 2 cents...

Steve has it correct.

Fobs and URIx = different chips & different capabilities.
URIx has features plus trace connections to many pins that are not
available or are not connected to in the FOB.

In my case I use them both but for different reasons. URIx has more GPIO
access plus other features.
Nice package and can be used to control more complex functions on
repeaters vs a dedicated simplex nodes.

I normally use a modified Fob when trying to assist/entice someone to
get into Allstar.
Economics becomes a factor when someone hasn't a clue if the mode is
something they even want to do.
In the mind of a newbie $35 for a Pi2 (computer = cheap).
Interfacing the computer to the radio (choice = $75 or say $5)
A no brainer for those just wanting to try the unknown. Twice the cost
of the PC for an interface or $5?

The fact there is a choice is great and very much appreciated by myself
and I'm sure many others.
Then again there are still people who like to tinker and modify fobs
just for fun.

Larry - N7FM