[App_rpt-users] ACID (Centos 6.7)

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Thu Sep 10 12:44:56 UTC 2015

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 21:37:20 -0400
> From: Doug Crompton <doug at crompton.com>
> To: "app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org" <app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org>
> Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] ACID (Centos 6.7)

> It would be a whole lot easier to just use an RPi2!
> 73 Doug
> WA3DSP

I guess if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The RPi is a nice board and lots of projects have been built using that
platform. But not every AllStar install is suited to the RPi. I have one
of the QRV quad boards running 3 repeaters and a IC-706 remote base. The
QRV board is a PCI bus, where do I plug that into a RPi? The Intel, AMD
and VIA are still viable platforms and have their place today and years to
come.

Yes, I've heard the refrain, "The RPi is cheap, just add a second RPi"
Well, for some applications that's fine. You get 2 IP address to maintain,
2 configuration files to maintain and 2 SDcards. There are times we want
everything in one box. I did create scripts for the RPi1, RPi2, BBB, X86,
and the APC VIA to run AllStar on Debian. No image needed. No waiting for
someone else to build and bless a image. It's very easy to build a image
for a platform like the RPi since the hardware is written in stone.

Quite a few people are running The Debian scripts to build nodes on
everything from a hub in a data center running on a Virtual Machine to the
RPi1 running simplex nodes and everything in between. I did help one user
build his hub on Ubuntu because that's what he had. The scripts are built
for Debian, but there is nothing stopping anyone from using the concepts
to build AllStar on Centos or any other Linux platform for that matter.

I am not a Centos guy. I prefer Debian and have been running AllStar on
Debian for the last 8 years. ACID is fine for some hardware as is Limey
Linux for that matter. I just prefer doing it on Debian. To that end, I
have built a Debian X86 bare metal installer. It will take someone from
nothing to a running AllStar node with a single key press. See:
<https://github.com/N4IRS/AllStar/wiki/X86-Debian-Bare-Metal-Install>

We all have been told over and over that things we have made work, could
not work. Well, they do. Are there problems and bugs in AllStar? Sure
there are. Anything over 10 lines of code has a bug. Jim has proved over
and over through the years that he will find and squash them. Some with
our help, and lots on his own.

73, Steve N4IRS
< https://github.com/N4IRS/AllStar>