[App_rpt-users] Connecting several sites together on a hub using link radios

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Fri Aug 26 12:16:45 UTC 2016

No reason for a hub to have hang time. Nor should the link radios from
the "client" repeaters.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 8/26/2016 7:49 AM, Stephen - K1LNX wrote:
> David,
>     Yes, this is the exact scenario. I think it can be solved by
> eliminating the hangtime from propagating across the hub alltogether,
> but not sure what the best approach is.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen
> K1LNX
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 6:58 AM, David McGough <kb4fxc at inttek.net
> <mailto:kb4fxc at inttek.net>> wrote:
>

>     Hi Stephen,
>
>     I guess, in your scenario, the ping-pong is generated from repeater TX
>     hang times? So, something like:
>
>     1) User keys up "Repeater A" directly.
>
>     2) Simplex AllStar link "Radio 1" hears "Repeater A" TX audio
>     and/or hang
>     time and repeats to the hub.
>
>     3) Simple AllStar link "Radio 2" connected to same hub keys and
>     brings up
>     "Repeater B"
>
>     4) "Repeater A" unkeys, "Radio 1" COS goes inactive, "Radio 2" unkeys.
>
>     5) "Radio 2" hears "Repeater B" TX audio and/or hang time, keys hub,
>     "Radio 1" and "Repeater A".
>
>     6) "Repeater B" unkeys, "Radio 2" COS goes inactive, "Radio 1" unkeys.
>
>     7) Goto 2 and repeat forever
>

>     73, David KB4FXC
>

>     On Fri, 26 Aug 2016, Stephen - K1LNX wrote:
>
>     > Hi guys... I am in the midst of deploying a 5 site system. All
>     of the sites
>     > with the exception of my own will be using link radios sitting
>     on the
>     > repeater pair, some sites do not have internet access so this is
>     the only
>     > option. Each node will be permalinked to our hub.
>     >
>     > What we discovered when we brought site number 3 online was the
>     dreaded
>     > "ping-pong" effect, and I did some digging and found out about the
>     > rxondelay parameter, that seems to be the place to start with this.
>     >
>     > The other option we are considering is dropping the hang time
>     off each
>     > repeater and using app_rpt to do hang time and courtesy tones
>     instead
>     > (duplex = 1 instead of 0) but not sure that would work real well
>     or be
>     > optimal.
>     >
>     > Anyone have any experience with a setup like this that can offer
>     some
>     > advice? This is my first foray into this unfortunately, I've
>     always just
>     > interfaced the radio or repeater directly to app_rpt in the past
>     or through
>     > a controller so it's been a bit of a challenge.
>     >
>     > 73
>     > Stephen
>     > K1LNX
>     >

"Just say no to world domination"

   > "ping-pong" effect, and I did some digging and
                found out about the<br>
                > rxondelay parameter, that seems to be the place to
                start with this.<br>
                > The other option we are considering is dropping the
                hang time off each<br>
                > repeater and using app_rpt to do hang time and
                courtesy tones instead<br>
                > (duplex = 1 instead of 0) but not sure that would
                work real well or be<br>
                > optimal.<br>
                > Anyone have any experience with a setup like this
                that can offer some<br>
                > advice? This is my first foray into this
                unfortunately, I've always just<br>
                > interfaced the radio or repeater directly to
                app_rpt in the past or through<br>
                > a controller so it's been a bit of a challenge.<br>
                > 73<br>
                > Stephen<br>
                > K1LNX<br>
App_rpt-users mailing list
App_rpt-users at ohnosec.org

You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the problem. </pre>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
"Just say no to world domination"
</pre>