[App_rpt-users] Portable Nodes: Just to be sure I'm on the right track

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Dec 20 16:53:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

For those of you who have set up portable nodes, and used them portable, say, at hotels, on cellular connections, and such as that...

First, thanks Peter, G7RPG, for building a portable node for me. Putting the hardware together would have proved...a challenge...without your assistance.

Now the fun begins.

Since this node will not be on one specific network, and likely as not will be behind a NAT I can't control (as in while on a cellular connection), I at first thought I might have to set up a VPN and use that. Either on the Asterisk box at home, or, as seemed better, on my router, which has dd-wrt on it. But then I remembered this page:
https://allstarlink.org/proxy.html

This sounds like a bit less of a bear to set up, if I understand it right.

Any gotchas that I should look out for?

Will I have trouble using this on the same router as my regular All Star node while I'm at home? Not that I'd have a real reason to, apart from for testing of course, and just for that reason I reckon I'd change to run on a different port. No big deal either way, I'll probably connect to my mobile when it's time to make sure that setting up the proxy works anyway.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name