[App_rpt-users] Top

Willem Schreuder willem at prinmath.com
Thu Feb 11 16:14:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, Robert Newberry wrote:

> So I've was listening to a conversation on one of my nodes today. I looked
> used the top command and I saw around 180 to 190 percent. Is this possible
> for it to read over 100 percent?

Top compares the cycles used by a process to the cycles possible in a
thread.  A multithreaded process fully utilizing all four cores can
therefore show CPU usage up to 400%.  On my 6 core 12 thread CPUs I often
see 1200% in top for CPU intensive applications.

-Willem

Dr. Willem A. Schreuder,  President,  Principia Mathematica
Address:  445 Union Blvd, Suite 230,  Lakewood, CO  80228, USA
Tel: (303) 716-3573   Fax: (303) 716-3575
WWW: www.prinmath.com   Email: Willem.Schreuder at prinmath.com