[App_rpt-users] usbfobs

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Jul 6 23:21:33 UTC 2016

Steve,

My experiences with USB are different than yours. USB works very well, is
very cost effective, reliable and adapters are available from multiple
sources, including building your own, if you want to. There -really- is
not going to be any shortage of this hardware anytime soon.

There are LOTS of concerns with using on-board GPIO, I2S, etc. That list
has been hashed and rehashed, no need to repeat it.  One thing I will
mention is that the closer you get to the computer (e.g. a RPi2/3 in this
case), the more you've got to worry with RF and ESD causing crashes or
destroying hardware: been there and done that!  With USB, you can use
off-the-shelf accessories to minimize RF and ESD woes. Here are USB
isolators I use regularly:

http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69

As a simple, REAL example, here is an APRS system I installed in 2011. It
lives 280 meters up a tower. The same hardware still runs today, 24/7, for
more than 5 years. It uses a DMK URI and the computer is a pcengines ALIX
board. The DSP MODEM software was upgraded to direwolf a couple years ago.

http://www.fsk.com/~kb4fxc/aprs/52711towertrip034.jpg
http://www.fsk.com/~kb4fxc/aprs/52711towertrip031.jpg
http://www.fsk.com/~kb4fxc/aprs/P1010939R.JPG

And, the system current "uptime:"

root at WWAY890:~# uptime
19:18:56 up 423 days,  4:48, load average: 0.15, 0.14, 0.14

Here it is on aprs.fi:

http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=N4ILM-4

It doesn't get much simpler or more reliable than that. And, yes, there is
yet another severe thunderstorm hovering over that tower site as I type
this.

....Just dig in a get something on-the-air and have fun TODAY. Don't worry
about tomorrow, this hardware is so cheap it's not like you're making a
long term amortized investment.

73, David KB4FXC