[App_rpt-users] A and B audio output from USB fob on a RPi running DIAL

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Mon Jul 11 20:08:41 UTC 2016

On 7/10/2016 4:08 PM, Kevin Custer wrote:
> Running 3 nodes on the DIAL release is likely not going to work.  You
> may want to try Doug and David's release which uses a different
> channel driver.  I've never heard anyone having luck running more then
> 2 nodes on the Raspberry Pi release in full DSP, but I have heard of
> success with the other.

Hi Kevin and all:

Wow - lots of discussion going on today, so I will jump in help divert
the discussion!

So... for one of my 220 repeaters, I did confirm that the USB fob I was
using was one of my earlier versions, which only had one audio output -
hence the reason why I was not able to get the 'split' PL working - doh!
- my bad ;).

My 2nd 220 repeater (yeh, I have 2 x 220 machines that I am lucky enough
to be working on at the same time!) - this is a pair of Bridgecom BCM220
mobiles (identical to the radios used in the Bridgecom 220 repeater
package) - this repeater is connected to a fob where I did bring out
both audio channels.  So hence, I am able to split the PL and inject
that into the 'data' input of the BCM220 radio.  This works well - so
all good there!

What I am observing is that I have some high frequency noise on the
audio out of the Bridgecom TX radio; it's subtle, but it is there.  One
thought that I had is whether this was coming off discriminator of the
RX radio.  I turned the RX radio off and the noise is still there.  Now
coincidentally, I saw a message scroll by the display on the TX radio
"PLL UNLOCKED" - ta da... is this synthesizer whine that I am hearing???
- I am going to test with a local mic tonight and see if the noise is
still there (independent of the USB fob / app_rpt, etc...).

Running 3 full-duplex nodes on the Pi - I've been doing that for
sometime; the difference now is the radio's - the RPi 2 and fobs are the
same.  I didn't have this issue before.

More to follow... but for now, I wanted to provide an update and get us
back to a technical discussion! ;).

Cheers,

Ramesh.