[App_rpt-users] RTCM/VOTER Squelch/Firmware Question

Lee Woldanski ve7fet at tparc.org
Sat Jun 4 00:04:32 UTC 2016

I am in the process of deploying my first of a few VOTER (through hole)
boards in the conversion of one of my local repeater to add voting.

My master receiver with transmit is running on an ICOM FR5000, using
discriminator out, carrier squelch (no PL), with a VOTER (of course).

I've got a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer for me.

1) I've noticed with the default (v1.50) firmware running, I am getting
nasty squelch crashes when a user un-keys.

Watching it in Allmon2, there looks like there is a LOT of flutter on the
signals, going from near 255 all the way down to the hundreds. The flutter
seems to be co-incident with voice peaks. Looking in the source code, this
appears it should have been fixed... yet I still see the artifacts?

The squelch crash seems to be co-incident with the RSSI dropping near 0
when the user un-keys. Which would be fine for the 2-level squelch action,
if it were true... but the users seem to have a strong signal otherwise.

2) Would DSPBEW help with this? Anyone running an FR5000 want to comment on
their configuration?

3) I've compiled and loaded "Chuck Squelch" on it, and it is definitely an
improvement. We'll see if I like the change.

Related to that, do I need to do the diode/squelch calibration routines
every time I re-flash the firmware, or will those settings be retained in
EEPROM (and would they be the same between the different firmware)?

So far I am liking the opportunities this change from a hardware controller
is enabling. A BIG thanks to everyone who has put their time and effort in
developing the hardware and software to get to where it is today.

Cheers!

--
Lee Woldanski, AScT
VE7FET