[App_rpt-users] RTCM Simulcast question

Sam Skolfield kj6qfs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 02:33:10 UTC 2016

While I don't have any hands on experience simulcasting with RTCMs, I do
understand something that is not really documented, only to be found in the
depths of the email posts.

If you want reliable simulcast with an acceptable level of overlap warble,
you MUST inject a GPS-disciplined 9.6MHz signal to the clock of the RTCMs
in leu of their stock internal crystal. Otherwise, the inherent internal
clock jitter of the RTCMs will cause CTCSS warble, etc  in areas where your
transmitters overlap. The 1PPS feed that you normally feed the RTCMS is
acceptable for voting, but naturally, a typical crystal-driven clock will
 slightly drift in between the pulses every second due to inherent jitter,
etc, and that ain't to good for situations like simulcast which demand
sample-accurate performance.

If I have misspoken about anything,  I apologize and relish the opportunity
to be re-educated.

73
SS

--