[App_rpt-users] RTCM Simulcast question

Sam Skolfield kj6qfs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 20:33:36 UTC 2016

Jesse,

>From my understanding as well as many others, simulcasting WON'T work
properly in overlap areas unless you replace the RTCM's internal 9.6MHz
crystal with a GPSDO 9.6MHz @3.3 volts p-p. If you expect a cheap 9.6MHz
crystal to derive a 1PPS signal and stabilize it between clock pulses down
to a level acceptable for accurate syncing of CTCSS generation, free of
intrinsic jitter, you are "optimistic" to say the least.

Jim Dixon has articulated this before on the email list. Simulcasting with
the RTCMS in overlap areas WON'T WORK PROPERLY without this trivial
modification. Obviously this requires usage of IDENTICAL equipment at each
site. Here is a pointer to an email of his.

*http://ohnosec.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2013-November/007704.html
<http://ohnosec.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2013-November/007704.html>*
Jim described a possible future RTCM design with convenient provisions for
plugging in external 9.6MHz, but this has not happened.

73

--
KJ6QFS
Sam Skolfield