[App_rpt-users] app_rpt from MP3 stream was remote receivers questions

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat Mar 5 20:24:55 UTC 2016

Hi Guys,

The SDR solution for a multi-receiver site is interesting. Here are some
observations I've made, experimenting with RTL-SDR and AirSPY hardware.

First, as mentioned earlier, the very cheap ($9 from China) RTL-SDR has no
front-end filtering, very minimal RF Dynamic Range (perhaps 50db usable?
--an 8-bit A/D), a very noisy PLL and poor weak-signal performance...They
probably won't fly too well when in the presence of multiple signals which
vary significantly in strength. When these SDR's hear a loud signal, their
RF gain must be turned down (many do this automatically in software) to
keep from getting "crunched." When that happens, the weaker signals
disappear in the noise!  ....But, hey, for $9, they're pretty neat -TOYS-
!! And, they're a great way to start learning about the various SDR
software available, much of this software also supporting higher-end
hardware.

Next, there is a generation of greatly improved wide-band SDR's out there,
such as the AirSPY, which perform MUCH better (about 80db dynamic range,
12-bit A/D). There are several competitors in this performance category
and it's evolving rapidly. IMO, the AirSPY is quite good; I've enjoyed it.
(No, I don't have any affiliation with that Company, except that I've got
a version R2 radio from them). As for a true remote RX, I don't know. But,
I'm getting prepared to try it! However, be aware that processing a large
segment of spectrum takes substantial CPU horsepower--more than my laptop
can provide! So, I end up with audio chops unless I reduce the amount of
spectrum I'm monitoring....Also, since the dual-core CPU is staying busy
running DSP software, it's using significant power (and is HOT).

Now comes a complex issue to handle--variable delay in the RF-to-audio
conversion. If you're running a standard analog RX (like the GM300
mentioned), the delay through the radio is minimal and CONSISTENT between
radios--ideal for voting receivers, etc. The SDR delay is large, perhaps
as much as 0.5 seconds, depending on the various DSP processing and CPU
speed. Also, as implied, the SDR decode speed is variable, depending on the
DSP options used, number of streams decoded, etc. This makes syncing the
audio for voting very difficult (or impossible?).

Anyhow, I think you'll have a lot of headaches trying to making the
current crop of SDR's perform as voting receivers, particularly if you
mix analog receivers and SDR's....Now, as a SINGLE remote-base RX, the SDR
concept is very interesting. But, for voting, I'd go with the GM300's (or
similar), and not even consider an SDR at this point in their evolution.

Just my $0.02.

73, David KB4FXC