[App_rpt-users] Digital Audio was: analog voting

Steve Wright info at meshnetworks.co.nz
Wed Mar 30 23:16:07 UTC 2016

On 31/03/16 09:53, KM4NRJ FLORIDA <km4nrj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless you are talking private links using microwave unlicensed spectrum
> technology, I think it may be a hair puller.

That's not too hard to do though.  The gear is off-the-shelf, effective,
inexpensive, and uncomplicated.  2.4, 3.3, 5.8, and 10GHz radios are
available.  The only issue with these radios and links, is they're not
actually that solid, and if something gets wedged you need an admin who
really knows which chain to flush, or your repeater is going to be down
days or weeks.  It's nearly mandatory that hams know how to acquire some
obsolete Ubiquiti, plug it in, and shoot a 100mbit link with it, and
it's fun too.  Many many cool stunts can be done over a link like that.

Internet trunking between 'Repeaters' doesn't get anywhere near the
workout that a local voted system would - where users really want to
beat it to death in near-real-time.  As long as a courtesy tone tells
users "we're connected somewhere - there may be delays" then that is
fine.  It's not irlp, kerchunk kerchunk.. ;)

Interesting comments on the PTP sub-microsecond timing protocols.  I
just installed the daemon with a flick of my admin finger, so deploying
servers is a doddle.  XIPAR source can be googled trivially.  Sadly, I
am not a coh-derrr, so others may comment.

I don't mind Digital Audio over Ham Radio, but it doesn't 'feel like
radio'.  Maybe I'd get used to that, if it was nice warm 64kbit audio.
I wouldn't mind the occasional blip in the voted audio - that doesn't
sound anywhere near as bad as mister robota d-stir.

I spent some time looking at transverters for our 1.3GHz band.  The
concept was to use a 5MHz wide channel with the Unifi zero-handoff
5.8GHz radios as the IF.  25 watt mobiles and 100 watt base stations
would be easy to deploy (no duplexing).  Testing at -70dbm shows a
32MBit connect and an *actual* TCP throughput of 3.5mbit/sec full-duplex
for a channel total of 7mbit/sec.   I stopped work on it because I
wasn't really in a position to design and build the high-side LO and
mixer board for it.

Just ideas.

Steve