[App_rpt-users] usbfobs

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat May 28 19:53:55 UTC 2016

Hi Bob,

VOX can be done to generate the RX COS signal, but, it isn't ideal at
all--I've tried it. The list of reasons is long, below is a quick from my
experience.

The circuit in QST is designed to provide PTT from a computer-generated
digital signal, and it should work well for that. Remember that when the
radio should be transmitting, MODEM audio from the computer is continuous
and roughly constant in peak level. Once the computer MODEM transmission
is complete, the output level drops to virtually zero, with very little
audio noise of any kind from the computer.  This scenario is ideal for
VOX--a single, predictable keying threshold set-point and a very short
no-signal cut off delay.

Audio from an FM receiver is different. It has many complications for
trying to use VOX to generate COS. First, you'll need a more complex
circuit that implements both an adjustable unkey delay (remember: human
voice isn't constant) and input level set-point, which may be complicated
to adjust due to various noises coming from the RX.  So, at best, you'll
likely end up with a customized solution that works only with a signal FM
radio without tweaking all the settings again and again. Then, another
issue is that you may loose the first syllable of audio at key-up, while
the VOX activates.

As I said, VOX can be done for casual use. But, with the effort involved
to get VOX to work, just put that same effort into making a real COS
circuit!

73, David KB4FXC