[App_rpt-users] Remote Base Limitations

mike at midnighteng.com mike at midnighteng.com
Mon May 30 05:17:51 UTC 2016

While I have no direct answers to your problems since I do not quite understand why
you have the problems, but here is how I look at it.

The entire remote base functions should be moved out of the core code and placed as
external AGI scripts. Then every/anyone can have just what they want in adapting
the remote base to what it is they want for the devices they want to control.

What started my thinking this way was...
In the case of a 706MKii, it can't also be used for the standard 706 because the
expected return data is not the same because it was written for the extended
capability of the MKii. Where as if it were written the right way, it could have
been used for both and used much less code.
That is not to say I do not appreciate the time someone took in writing and testing
the code for the remote or 706mkii. I have written many control programs for them
for the last 20 years and I know the time involved in laying it out and making it
work.

But, if you have the communication format for your remote, there is nothing
stopping you from making your own RB set-ups driven from a shell or agi script.
That is how I do it.

...mike/kb8jnm