[App_rpt-users] audio for direct VCO FM

Steve Wright info at meshnetworks.co.nz
Tue May 31 07:40:31 UTC 2016

Gurus,

What are the limitations with audio-driving a 50MHz FM Transmit VCO
directly?

Sorry that's a really open-ended question.  I suppose it will vary per
each chan_ driver as well, as well as the emphasis settings and so on.

So dealing with the issues of emphasis, compression, (audio)bandwidth
limiting and so on - how much can be taken out of the radio and handled
by the chan_ drivers, and how different are they each?

It was suggested elsewhere, that everything over 12KHz be not permitted
anywhere near an FM modulator stage, but how much does that actually
happen with the CM119 chipset?

I ask because on a transmit-only site, there hardly seems to be any
point to having a "transceiver" there at all, when a clock generator,
buffer, PA, and filtering, is a fairly simple unit.

Cheers,
Steve