[App_rpt-users] Rpt.conf [nodes] question

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Thu Nov 10 18:03:50 UTC 2016

I'll make an attempt.

42996=radio at 127.0.0.1/42996,NONE <http://radio@127.0.0.1/42996,NONE>
defines the node which resides in your computer is local.  The IP
address of 127.0.0.1 is local host, and local host resolves to this IP.
It's defined so Asterisk knows where on the AllStar system this node
exists.  In this case - it's local to your computer itself.  If there is
more than one node instance in a single computer, they will be added as
well, to 127.0.0.1 local host.

Other nodes can be established in this stanza to statically define where
(in the world) they exist.  Say your node commonly connects to another
node that has a static IP address.  This address could be public or
private.  Defining a node and an IP in this stanza eliminates the need
for the node to resolve (using DNS lookup) where the node resides.  This
can eliminate nodes not connecting to one another if the AllStar nodes
resolver system should become unreachable.  If a node is defined, it
doesn't do the look-up, it simply uses the static assignment to attempt
the connection. Nodes that are on an Internet connection which are
offered public IP addresses which change on occasion should not be
defined statically.  This is the whole reason behind DNS,  As IP's
change (because the ISP changes them) the system will keep track and
always know what IP address your node is located at, so others can
connect to you.

I believe this area only relates to AllStar nodes - not EchoLink nodes -
BUT I'm not sure about this.

Hope this helps..
Kevin W3KKC