[App_rpt-users] Some questions regarding Apt-RPT and AllStarLink

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Mon Nov 21 13:31:17 UTC 2016

Hi Jeremy,
     OpenVPN works great for this type of application, I just did this for
several repeaters in my area myself. I did it a little bit differently
however, all the nodes (5 total) all connect back to a hub and router
co-lo'd in the same datacenter. My approach was to build a "private"
network between my router and the hub node VPS, and then used OpenVPN
between the router and the nodes, I pushed out the route for the hub node
in the OpenVPN config. We don't have anyone connecting to these nodes
individually from the outside, so port forwarding was not needed in our
application, only on the hub node.

Barring that, your approach may be a little more difficult, as the nodes
will register using whatever external IP your provider has provided to you,
so I think your best bet here would be to send all the traffic down the VPN
instead, i.e. make it your default route.

I'm sure there may be other ways, so I'll let others chime in with ideas,
but these are my experiences. OpenVPN comes in QUITE handy for scenarios
like this, we also run a fairly large DMR network and use OpenVPN
exclusively to remedy some the issues we had with NAT'ing and such.

73
Stephen
K1LNX