[App_rpt-users] toy throwing time?

Stacy kg7qin at arrl.net
Fri Sep 9 23:31:11 UTC 2016

Bob,

You forgot all the additional restriction that the State of California
puts on everything. :)

Also, I had posted this to the list a while ago.  I did not want the
code to be left stagnant/lost, and some people seemed to be interested.

The only thing with open source, is that it takes a lot of time and
effort to move forward.

Both Jim Dixon and Steve Rodgers put a lot of work into the parts that
are used for the AllStar Network.  (app_rpt is one example of the work
done).

I had an inkling for starting a port for a long time, and my initial
attempts were not met with success (the DAHDI driver and a newer Linux
kernel).  At first, I didn't have a lot of time to put into this.  It
was only when I had started my transition/retirement from my previous
job last October (20 years activey duty Navy, retired 1 Dec 15), that I
had the free time to start on a project like this.

I have since started a new job, so I do not have all the free time I one
did to work on it.  One of the reasons why put it in a Github repository
and posted the announcement here several months ago, was because I feel
there is a desire to move things forward.  I saw this old thread today
when cleaning up my inbox and decided to re-post the link to it.

You are right, this isn't an official release-- yet.  As with any major
step forward, testing will be required.  The only way to accomplish that
is for the code to be picked up, used, poked at and fixed.  This is a
lot for one person to do, especially since there are parts I can't test
right now.  App_rpt will run, take/make calls and do its thing.   Does
it have bugs?  Hell yes.  But is it is start.

And as Jim said before, he loves open source.  That being said, the only
person who can officially sanction this is Jim himself (see copyright in
the headers of all the app_rpt and related module source code), and even
he released it under the GPL.  Unless this plain crashes any of the
pieces of the AllStar network, nobody will likely know you are running
it.  I don't recommend trying to run it as a production node yet, but it
still needs to be run in the environment it will be used in to test it
out and shake the bugs out.

-Stacy

KG7QIN