[App_rpt-users] the endless (I hope) possibilities..

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Fri Sep 16 12:37:06 UTC 2016

Geoff,

On 9/16/2016 8:24 AM, Geoff wrote:
> Bottom line, I didn't want to just come out and ask a question without
> giving proper acknowledgment and appreciation ahead of my asking, so
> having done that (I hope) I'll ask...
>
> if there ever going to be an .rpm version of app_rpt that would be put
> together like so that the program could be installed onto an
> already-existing instance of Linux, instead of my previous experience
> where a dedicated machine was needed running CentOS?
>
> something as simple as
> $~> rpm -qvih allstar
>
> then having the script go out, create the directories it needed, put the
> files where they were supposed to go, update the libraries, set the
> environment, connect to the radio, use the current internet connection
> (if needed) and run by itself as "yalp" (yet another linux program)
> without the need of dedicating hardware to do so?

Building a repository for asterisk and DAHDI is really not a big deal.
It does not matter if it's RPM, APT or Pacman (arch) the principles are
the same. Build the package for a target platform and make it available
for the installer to download and install. For me, that would be apt.

I agree, someone should do it and I think it's being done for arch. I've
done it for other projects. It's not something I want to spend my time on.

> It's always been a thought in my mind, that "if Linux is multi-user,
> multi-funtion capable, why is an entire machine required to be dedicated
> to running allstar?"

No one says a entire machine HAS to be dedicated to AllStar. I publish
scripts that will take a existing Debian install and add what is needed
to run AllStar. I will tell you what MOST people want is a image or
"soup to nuts" installer. The single board crowd pretty much require a
downloadable image.

73, Steve N4IRS

--
"Just say no to world domination"