[App_rpt-users] Alternative to WebTransceiver java applet

Doug Kingston dpk at randomnotes.org
Sat Apr 15 18:38:13 UTC 2017

As I am sure many of you are aware, the WebTransceiver has been rendered
largely useless by the deprecation of Java support in many major browsers.
Even where it can still be used (e.g. Safari), the process to enable it is
convoluted and a challenge for many users.  Is there any project underway
to develop either a standalone app or a modern browser based application in
HTML5 or JavaScript that will replace this very useful capability.  Lack of
an authenticated client for general hams to use to access Allstar nodes is
probably the major impediment to much stronger adoption of Allstar.  With
the uniformly poor audio quality of Echolink being promulgated by its ease
of use, we really need an authenticated access method for Allstar that is
as easy to use as the Echolink clients.

I am willing to help if there is a path forward here.  Is there a better
list to discuss this?

Lets discuss,
  -Doug-, KD7DK