[App_rpt-users] Alternative to WebTransceiver java applet

Wayne Hale waynehale at mac.com
Sat Apr 15 21:34:56 UTC 2017

I'm in favor of fixing or replacing Webtranceiver.  I've used it
successfully for many years, up to Windows 10.  Windows 10 seems to
protest Java security settings but Windows 7 works fine on all of my
systems including OS X on the Mac.  I've had no problems running
webtranceiver under several versions of Linux, Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 18
but use the open source Iced Tea substitute for Java which works fine
with Firefox on all of the above mentioned varieties of Linux.

I have a Kenwood TMG-707 remote base and really like the display of
frequency, tone, offset and power level as displayed in the
webtranceiver window along with the node numbers of what ever else may
be connected.  No need to look at the bubble chart or issue DTMF
commands to query the node as to what frequency it is set to.  My
associated webpage shows the standard list of commands plus a shortcut
chart to over 20 preset frequencies accessed by *000 through *020.  Once
a change frequency command is issued from the webtranceiver keypad, I
get instant feedback as to whether the command went through or not and
what the new settings are.

Iaxrpt is a great program but only works if you have access to the
credentials of the node(s) you are trying to connect to. Unless I'm
missing something, you need the Public IP address of an external  node
to use Iaxrpt along with the user name and password for that particular
node.  If setup correctly in the Allstar server setup, none of that
information is needed, just point, click and you are connected.

What could be simpler than just browsing the webtranceiver window, click
on any arbitrary node number and be connected with instant feedback as
to what else might be connected to that node, and if setup correctly,
what the node is, it's frequency and tone.

Yes, you can do most of this with a standalone, simplex or radio-less
node but not nearly as easy as using webtranceiver especially for
someone just getting started and who probably doesn't have any of the above.

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer but would consider donating to the
cause if someone steps up and tries to fix or replace the features
Webtranceiver  provides.

Wayne W6IZK