[App_rpt-users] ilbc codec source code ? What about Opuis codec ?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun Aug 27 20:35:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have Opus setup on my Asterisk 13 and later installations and it sounds
fantastic for wideband audio...But computationally, it is VERY CPU
intensive. Due to the CPU use, I about always prefer G.722. I have not
tried this code on a RPi3 or for narrowband audio. I expect Opus on an
RPi3 might be pushing the envelope!

Opus is open, BSD license, see:  http://opus-codec.org/license/

However, it's not GPL. I also expect they won't sign a Digium contributor
license agreement---which requires you to give up your license rights to
Digium! ..So, that's probably the license issue you heard about.

For my installations, I'm very concerned about maintaining high audio
quality.  So, for me, iLBC is the winner over GSM, hands down....But,
remember, whatever CODEC you choice, don't transcode from one
low-bandwidth CODEC to another between nodes; not only is this CPU
intensive, it seriously degrades the audio even further.

If you've just got to have minimal bandwidth use, no other option,
CODEC2/3200 is included in the hamvoip release and works properly. But,
you pay for low bandwidth by sacrificing audio quality.

73, David KB4FXC