[App_rpt-users] AllStarLink status

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Wed Jan 25 16:57:25 UTC 2017

It's been about 1 month since Jim's passing. I want to update everyone
as to the status of AllStarLink now and going forward.

Let me say first, AllStarLink will continue to thrive and move into the
future. The steps we have taken, and will take, guarantee that. Never
again will any one person have to scramble to pay a server bill, add to
the DNS or renew the domain name.

Our first step was to identify the hosts and domains involved in the
infrastructure of ASL. We have done that. I have implemented a
monitoring system to notify us when we have a problem with a host. The
monitoring as of today is a basic available / not available system. I am
adding the monitoring of services specific to the host. That can be
HTTP, IAX, SIP, CPU load, Disk in use etc. At a later date, I will make
a page available to all that can be checked for overall health of the
entire ASL infrastructure.

The servers need rebuilding. The services need redistribution. Standards
need to be set. This will take time. Mission critical servers will have
a hot backup. In case of failure a standby server will take over until
repairs can be made. All servers will have a offsite cold backup. Data
will be daily coped to a remote storage array.

We are moving all services off of ohnosec.org. Thanks to Steve R for
keeping it going through the transition. The first step is move the
maillist app_rpt-users. It has been migrated to lists.allstarlink.org.
The archives are intact and old archives from lists.illiana.net from Dec
2005 to Oct 2008 were added. For the time being, mail sent to
app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org will go to the new list.

An existing user on on the ohnosec list is valid with his existing
password and subscription on app_rpt-users at allstarlink.org.

A message posted to app_rpt-users at allstarlink.org will appear on the
archive
<http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users>

A message posted to app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org will also appear on the
archive
<http://lists.allstarlink.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/app_rpt-users>

The archive on <http://ohnosec.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/> will not be
updated by any posts.

The main website allstarlink.org is being rewritten. It is a slow
tedious project. Great attention is being paid to the look, feel and
consistency. As with all thing ASL, the source will be archived and
available.

The next thing to move will be the Drupal (Knowledge Base) We may move
this to a wiki or some other form that lends itself better to being
updated by the community.

I have copied the source code repository from SVN to github. This is the
complete source code repository with history. Any changes to the
official source code will happen on github. Moving from SVN to git will
allow more people to contribute ideas and fixes in the future.
The github repository is at <https://github.com/AllStarLink> There are
of course off site backups done daily.

A small group of professionals are starting to review the code. The
first step will be to add comments and documentation. We need a better
base of information to carry this forward. LOTS more on this to come.

A not for profit organization has been created. For the first year, we
are keeping the directors to a minimum. I do not want a large unwieldy
group trying to manage things. I do not want to have to try to "turn a
battle ship" just to get something done. AllStarLink Inc. will hold the
domain name, pay for server space and handle any other administrative
tasks that are needed.

More to follow...

73, Steve N4IRS

--
"Real programmers use vi, that's why I use nano"