[App_rpt-users] mini-pc recommendations for Allstar / Dial

Ken Alker ka6ken at alker.net
Thu Jun 1 07:51:23 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am brand new to this list and Allstar (although I have been using
Asterisk for well over a decade).  I would like to run three URIs off of
one PC running Dial.  The PC will also communicate with at least three
RTCMs at other locations.  I ASSuME, based on this requirement, that a
mini-PC would be the best platform (and not a Rasberry Pi or other ARM
based processor).  Please correct me if this is wrong (as I'd love to get
away with a super low power $35 computer).

What mini-PC platforms have people successfully used (IOW, what mini-PCs
would you suggest I look into)?  I'd like something relatively inexpensive,
low power, and with no moving parts (for a difficult to reach remote
location at high elevation).

I've been looking into the Qotom mini-PCs, however, many of them seem to be
based on the J1900, and I have heard that the Intel "Bay Trail" processors
(of which the J1900 is one) have some clock issues due to a conflict with
the (Debian) kernel being used in the Dial/Allstar project.  I don't know
if newer releases of the processor have fixed this, or if it applies to
every single Bay Trail processor ever produced.  Perhaps someone can
expound on this for me, as well.

Thank you!

Ken Alker
KA6KEN