[App_rpt-users] What is the "debian" user in the DIAL distro?

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 02:50:25 UTC 2017

To be honest, I scoured the system and couldn’t find any indication of how they got into it.  However, my logs stopped somewhere around June 2 due to the log2ram partition filling up, so I didn’t have a LOT to go on.  The only way I even found out was the machine was probing SSH ports on hosts out on the internet, and got caught by a fail2ban script and reported to my employer (who just happens to host the server the VM was running on).  That “Debian” user is a prime candidate – but I couldn’t see any evidence that was where it came from.  At any rate, I have wiped the VM and am in the process of reinstalling now.  I’m going to be doing some serious hardening of the system (to rival what we do at work in our PCI-compliant cluster), and will document what steps I take onto my Wordpress blog – including firewalling the box, limiting SSH connections, and a whole host of other stuff.

Jeremy