[App_rpt-users] Codecs

Benjamin L. Naber benjamin at project23d.com
Tue Mar 7 00:52:40 UTC 2017

While reading an email from another VoIP email reflector, I got to
thinking about some of the codecs we use.

Perusing through the iax.conf through a few allstar network linking
distros, each seem to have their own preferred set of codecs.

I'm rather disturbed that iLBC and speex remains in any of them, while
I'm sure for compatibility of older installations. However, low quality
bandwidth codes sounds no better than echo-stink. This is one of the
reason why we use Allstarlink, for better audio quality, is it not?

As I connect to different allstar nodes throughout the world, more-so in
the US, some are using iLBC or gsm... and a majority are hub nodes. This
to me, is unacceptable, and appears the codec being used are whatever
the allstar box has been packaged with.

So, given than I'm not a Steve Henke or Steve Zingman, but I want to
ensure that I'm doing my part to achieve high fidelity through g711
codec and proper URI <-> radio hardware interfacing techniques.

Which stanza in the iax.conf is for out-going connections?

I was under the impression [radio-proxy] was, however, when a node with:
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=g726aal2
allow=gsm

connects to my node which has the *same* key=value pairs under [radio]
stanza, I got the message something along the lines of:

connected: IP
codes available: g726aal2/gsm
host codecs available: ulaw|g726aal2|gsm|ilbc
actual codec: g726aal

bost sides do not have ilbc *anywhere*. The codec has been
removed/deleted. Why does it still show up?

What is the ultimate deciding factor of which codec is used if both side
have codecpriority=mine?

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ