[App_rpt-users] App_rpt-users Digest, Vol 97, Issue 40

Steve Wright zl1bhd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 22:36:37 UTC 2017

From: Adi Linden <adilinden at yahoo.ca>

*quote
[...] I've configured IAX trunks, SIP trunks, and SIP telephony handsets.
All done by editing config files, not using FreePBX or any of the other
available management tools.  Although not at all my primary job function, I
am involved in a commercial VoIP installation that involves multiple
asterisk PBXs and asterisk SIP gateways.  At home I am running asterisk on
a Mac using a homebrew (package manager) recipe.
*unquote

Well I sure hope you stick around.  Asterisk is more a toolbox than a tool,
as you will know.

I feel as the whole thing needs a facelift.  A few others have build
app_rpt based systems, with voting and permanent linking, and all sorts of
tricks and toys, but there isn't really an integrated installer where one
can tick boxes etc - it's all fairly dedicated to a single configuration,
not to mean that it doesn't actually work well, because it does.  It's just
that, considering the powerful box of tricks that is Asterisk - it's very
complicated to do something different, for a wide range of reasons.