[App_rpt-users] ilink,6 and permalinks?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Mar 21 06:16:50 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

There is no current way to disconnect all normal connections while leaving
permanent connection linked, as far as I know (and I've been through that
code a lot).

On the node where the permanent connection is initiated, some code could
be added to accomplish selective disconnects, theoretically
speaking---something like a modified ilink,16 command. The only difference
between permanent and normal connection is the setting of the internal
"max_retries" variable to a huge value (in app_rpt.c, see the name:
MAX_RETRIES_PERM) and the setting of the "perma" variable, which is simply
a flag---so, connections are really permanent, but connect retries go on
for a very long time!  ...In app_rpt.c, see the comment:

/* Make a string of disconnected nodes for possible restoration */

In app_rpt, the initiating node is to only place where the"max_retries"
and "perma" variables are visible...From the "target" node's perspective
(i.e.: the node which was connected TO via a permanent connect command),
there is no way to tell any difference, unfortunately, so no way to
perform a selective disconnect without changes to telemetry.

...It would be nice if more comprehensive telemetry info got passed
between nodes, but, that can't happen without potentially breaking all
legacy nodes which haven't upgraded.

73, David KB4FXC

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, Bryan Fields wrote:

> On 3/21/17 12:32 AM, Bob Pyke wrote:
> Is that not *71

No, it's not.

ilink,6 disconnects all nodes, I'm looking for a way I can have it disconnect
all normal ilink,2/3 linked nodes, but leave the permalinks (ilink,12/13)
connected.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice